Manhattan Doll

Monday, February 21, 2005

The Week That Was--2/14-2/21

Monday, Valentine's Day
Received zip, zilch, and nada. Sassy regifted the unicorn to me, but I don't think that counts. Valentine's Day may well be a commercial holiday, but I'm for any day involving presents!

Tuesday and Wedneday--The Wilds of Westchester
I ventured to Westchester for a two-day offsite meeting. Way too much nature for this city girl. I have a tree in front of my apartment building, and that's enough green for me. There were no Duane Reades and no Starbucks!! Everything was in walking distance--to your car!! We did have a good steak dinner at Ruth Chris. The chef probably went out to the back of the hotel and shot a cow. If he went out the front door, he could have shot one of the geese frolicking on the lawn.

Thursday--Meetings, Meetings and More Meetings
I had a day full of back-to-back meetings. I once attended a meeting where they spent 20 minutes deciding when to hold the next meeting. And if we're not meeting in person, we're meeting via video-conference, which usually features a technical glitch--the picture is frozen or the audio keeps echoing. And don't forget that old standby, the conference call. We're way too connected.

Saturday--The Gates Revisited
I really wanted to love "The Gates." After viewing them from the East Side and the West Side, I must admit that I agree with Jon Stewart--all they did was decorate a bike path!

Sunday--Culture Day
I saw "Being Julia." I thought the movie was good, and Annette Bening was wonderful. But I'm still rooting for Hilary Swank for the Oscar. I also saw Jane Monheit perform at The Blue Note. She has a fabulous voice, great hair, and a pretty face (her make-up was terrific). But whoever dressed her needs glasses!

Monday--Thank you Mr. Presidents
Although I had to spend some of the day writing the mid-market business plan (a carry-over from the two-day off-site meeting--see Tuesday and Wednesday), I managed to eke out some quality time to spend with Sassy, finish knitting my shawl, and read the paper.

I also bought a computer bag on wheels! Now luggage on wheels is cool. You board the plane, train or Hampton Jitney and pop your wheelie in the overhead compartment to join the wheelies of your fellow travelers. But a computer bag on wheels sends a totally different message--it screams NERD! I might as well wear a pocket protecter. Maybe I could hire someone to carry my laptop for me.

Quote of the Week
"No one ever knows what's next, but they always do it."--George Carlin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home